Hair loss. Man it’s a pain. But unfortunately, WE ALL go thru it. Recently, after my globe trotting, I noticed a sad truth. That I am balding lol. Now males and females tend to lose hair in different places. So what are the common causes?
- • Androgenic
- • Alopecia areata
- • Telogen effluvium
- • Traction
This article would be highly educational. So it comes complete with a quiz haha.
Can u name the diagnosis?
Essentially, the most common cause is androgenic, meaning hormonal. Hence it is impt to recognise the different grades.
Grading Scales for androgenic alopecia –
Hamilton Norwood (Males)| Sinclair (Females)
Males tend to lose hair in the back of the head, and in the front along the hairline. Females tend to lose hair along the top of the head. Here are some illustrations.
Here is a video on how to grow hair. I like it heaps lol!
On the opposite end of the spectrum is mega hair overgrowth. THis is called hirsutism.
The key is to Rule out medical causes. Treatment can be effected by – Laser hair removal – ‘permanent’ after 6 – 10 sessions
3 main phases exist. Anagen, catagen and telogen phase.
Anagen is the growth phase.
Catagen the intermediate phase.
Telogen is the resting phase.
Key principle of all the treatments is to increase the growth phase and reduce the resting phase.
- • Lifestyle changes – healthy diet
- • Medical:
• Topical- Minoxidil 2-5%
• Oral – finasteride, dusteride, spironolactone -> Treatment for 6 months or more for better results.
• Immunosuppressant -> ( intralesional, oral steroid, MTX) – Effective for alopecia areata
Cosmetic camouflages include coloured hair sprays to cover thinning areas on the scalp.
• Specialized scalp tattoos can also mimic the appearance of a short, buzzed haircut.
• Low level laser therapy is of ? benefit in pattern balding but one device has been approved by the FDA for marketing.
• Hair transplantation is becoming more popular although not everyone is suitable for this procedure
A Cochrane systematic review published in 2012 concluded that minoxidil solution was effective for. Minoxidil is available as 2% and 5% solutions; the stronger preparation is more effective, but may irritate and may cause undesirable hair growth unintentionally on areas other than the scalp.
A combination of low dose oral minoxidil (0.25 mg daily) and spironolactone (25 mg daily) has been shown to be most effective.
Thats all from me. I hope this was one hair raising article.
Should you have any queries, feelfree to pm be. Have a bold and beautiful day.
• We know it’s always a challenge to find someone you can trust. We know and we CARE. We know no one is perfect and we too have our shortcomings. But, we are dedicated to doing our very BEST for you. We are here for you, and here to journey with you on your Aesthetic dream. TRANSFORM your solitary fantasies into a million realities. Fulfil the highest, truest, purest expression of yourself. Making ASIA, more beautiful, one face at a time.
Dr DANIEL CHANG |
POET | CATHOLIC | TRIATHLETE |