DARK EYE CIRCLES
Tell me, what is the first thing you notice when first meeting someone? For me, its their eyes.
Urban legend runs that dark circles are caused by late nights partying, working and just plain fatigue. The truth is, this is large determined by your genes.
So what causes dark eye circles?
It represents the visible veins, under the thin layer of lower eyelid skin. Just for comparison, the skin around the rest of your body is 2mm, but its only 0.5mm thick covering your eyelids.
- Skin becomes thinner with age. It loses collagen and elastin with age. So the older you get, the more obvious your dark eye circles.
- Gentically, some people have thinner eyelids.
- Darker skin ethnicity tend to have dark eye circles due to hyperpigmentation. In Asia, we see this commonly in our Indian friends.
So question is, how can we treat dark eye circles?
- Increase skin thickness. The can be addressed with collagen stimulation via Plasma skin resurfacing and skinboosters.
- Introduce a layer between your skin and the underlying veins. This can be solved with dermal fillers and threads.
- Repair the skin. This can be addressed with Rejuran.
That wraps it up. IMHO, the eyes are one of the most vital areas for facial rejuvenation. It provides the foundation for a beautiful face. Treating the eye area is extremely challenging, but performed correctly, the results can be natural, yet dramatic.
Dr Daniel Chang
- Roh, Mi Ryung, and Kee Yang Chung. “Infraorbital dark circles: definition, causes, and treatment options.” Dermatologic surgery 35.8 (2009): 1163-1171.
- Freitag, Fernanda Magagnin, and Tania Ferreira Cestari. “What causes dark circles under the eyes?.” Journal of cosmetic dermatology 6.3 (2007): 211-215.
- XU, TIAN‐HUA, et al. “Treatment of Infraorbital Dark Circles Using a Low‐Fluence Q‐Switched 1,064‐nm Laser.” Dermatologic Surgery 37.6 (2011): 797-803.
For more information on DARK EYE CIRCLES, Feelfree to refer to this link.