Myth No. 1: You can always tell when someone has had “work done”
- Well, in the past, people wanted dramatic results.
- Now, the trend is towards, subtle natural enhancement.
- The best aesthetic surgeons would understand their patient’s expectations, and seek out an outcome that is both beautiful and natural.
Myth 2: Cosmetic treatments are painful and carries downtime
FACT: The truth is, there are many pain reduction modalities and managing pain is both an art and a science.
I have had patients telling me they ‘didnt feel the needle’, ‘are surprised the treatment was over’, ‘the needle prick felt like a massage’ etc.
Myth 3: Aesthetic treatment is not for the young
- Ageing is dynamic. We start losing collagen and elastin in our 20s. Anti-wrinkle botox fillers and threadlift are right for you when you have a valid indication and are ready.
- Anti ageing treatments helps an angry, dull saggy face look more refreshed, more attractive and more elegant.
- In Korea and China these days, aesthetic and cosmetic procedures are birthday gifts from parents upon graduating from college. There is a prevailing notion that helping their child look good and feel great about themselves gives them a leg up in their young adult years and beyond.
Disclaimer: In my practice, I only offer these treatments to adults over the age of 21.
Myth 4: Aesthetic treatments are pricey and addictive
- If u compare the price of quality eye creams and moisturisers, u see the value of investing in the future for your skin.
- A dermal filler that lasts u a year, works out to be less than 90 dollars per month, cheaper than your precious eye cream lol!
- In my experience, I have only come across 2 patients out of > 5000 who are ‘addicted’ to the benefits of botox and fillers.
Myth 5: Botox, fillers, threadlift will result in the tight frozen Hollywood Pillow face look
- FACT: BOTOX is intended to enhance the way you look, not change it.
- FACT: Fillers, when used in experienced hands, is designed to restore your volume loss, and enhance your features in harmony to your face. Beauty is subjective. Hence it is important to find a physician who shares your artistry and beauty goals.
- FACT: Never underestimate what a touch of filler, botox and threadlift can do for your face. Good things come in small doses.
MYTH 6: Laser treatments thin my skin
FACT: Lasers only serve to remove your dead skin. It stimulates collagen and elastin in your dermis, so your dermis layer gets firmer and stronger.
Myth 7: Once I stop my botox, fillers, threadlift, I will look older than before
FACT: Your will just look like the original version of yourself, with the wrinkles and hollows, nothing more, nothing less. While the new collagen that has been stimulated from the treatment stays with you.
Myth 8: Aesthetic treatment is all about Beauty and Vanity, so only those who lack confidence in their looks undergo these procedures
- It is a proven mood booster.
- Based on studies from the American Society of Psychology, helping a person look good can help them get hired sooner, get promotions more quickly, earn more money and get more perks in life
- People do treatments to correct inherent deficits in their features. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this, when done in a controlled manner.
Myth 9: The effects of botox and facial fillers are irreversible
- FACT: Hyaluronic acid Fillers can be dissolved in 24 hours.
- FACT: Anti wrinkle treatments only last 4 months on average.
- FACT: With regular use, ageing process is graceful.
Myth 10: Botox and fillers are unsafe
- FACT: Botox is an anti-wrinkle injectable medicine that relaxes the muscles in the face that are responsible for our negative facial expressions and reduces lines, while fillers plump and smooth out folds.
- FACT: BOTOX has a long and well-established safety history. BOTOX has actually been in use for over 20 years for the effective treatment of a range of medical conditions and is one of the most widely researched medicines in the world, with over 50 million treatments and more than 95% satisfaction rate worldwide.
- FACT: In experienced hands, fillers are safe. I advocate using hyaluronic acid based fillers, which are FDA approved and 100% biodegradable. This gel resembles your body’s own hyaluronic acid.
So I hope this segment on Aesthetic myths debunked was useful to you. Have yourself an amazing week.
Dr Daniel Chang
To learn more about
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons. American society of plastic surgeons 2016 National Clearinghouse of plastic Surgery statistics.
- American Society for Dermatologic Surgery. ASDS survey: nearly 10 million treatments performed in 2015.
- Maas C, Kane MAC, Bucay VW, Allen S, et al. Current aesthetic use of abobotulinumtoxinA in clinical practice: an evidence-based consensus review. Aesthet Surg J 2012;32(1 Suppl):8S–29S.