ACNE SCAR SOLUTION
Let me share with you a personal encounter. Years ago, I remember meeting a wide-eyed and cheerful air steward who was bothered by his acne scarring. He was working with a low cost carrier, but always dreamt of flying with SQ. It was his goal, his aspiration, his desire to don the SQ uniform and fly the national flag high. He missed the cut previously, failing in his interview where he was informed he had to fix his acne scarring. He visited me for a consultation, and together, we worked on a 6 month acne scar programme for him. I am pleased to say his dream came true. He is now flying high with our national carrier. Being able to help my patients look and feel their very best is an endearing feeling that keeps me going.
In my practice, acne scars is one of the top 3 concerns my patients want addressed. Gone are the days where acne scar treatment involves 1-2 weeks of skin scabbing and peeling. Over the years, treatments for acne scarring has become more evidence based, safer and faster. This only means one thing. Now you can look and feel your very best!
So what is the cause of ACNE SCARS?
How common is acne scarring in Singapore?
How is acne scarring treated?
Treatment: There is no one size fits all approach. I believe in a Customised Individualised Treatment that is dynamic and continuous. This is based on your skin type, scar type, and lifestyle.
What are the different types of scars?
Scars can be divided into atrophic and hypertrophic and keloidal scars.
Hypertrophic and keloidal scars can respond to intralesional steroids. Atrophic scars is more complex, so I shall divide them into their common variants.
Tethered scars: These are scars that are attached to your underlying tissue, eg muscles. So for example, when you smile, the scars become more pronouced. I recommend subcision for majority of these cases.
Tethered scar Treatment: Subcision + Rejuran
Rolling scars: These are uneven scars with a curved surface. They can improve visibly but will take time. I recommend
Rolling scar Treatment: Subcision + Dermal Fillers + Rejuran + Fractional Laser
Ice Pick Acne Scars : These are traditionally very tough to treat. Especially those over your nose. In my experience, careful use of
Ice pick scar Treatment: Rejuran + TCA cross + Fractional Laser
Box Acne Scar: These type of scars respond very well to treatment. One can expect pretty nice results. In my experience a combination approach works best.
Box scar Treatment: Fractional Laser + Rejuran
Your Take Home message
- Scars are 3 dimensional and 2D photos will not do justice to your scars. Hence yours scars need to be examined in a face to face consult with your doctor.
- Males tend to have worse acne scarring due to a lack of pre and post care.
- Treatment results appear as early as the 2nd month, but it is advisable to complete a programme for optimal results
To learn more about
- Dreno, B., A. Khammari, N. Orain, C. Noray, C. Merial-Kieny, S. Méry, and T. Nocera. “ECCA grading scale: an original validated acne scar grading scale for clinical practice in dermatology.” Dermatology 214, no. 1 (2007): 46-51.
- Heidi Wat, Douglas C. Wu and Henry Hin Lee Chan, Fractional resurfacing in the Asian patient: Current state of the art, Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, 49, 1, (45-59), (2016).
- Brandon E. Cohen, Jeremy A. Brauer and Roy G. Geronemus, Acne scarring: A review of available therapeutic lasers, Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, 48, 2, (95-115), (2015).
- Jung U Shin, Dorjsuren Gantsetseg, Jin Young Jung, Inhee Jung, Sungsik Shin and Ju Hee Lee, Comparison of non‐ablative and ablative fractional laser treatments in a postoperative scar study, Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, 46, 10, (741-749), (2014).