Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love.
– Lao Tzu
With more and more people isolating themselves, reducing interactions and practising social distancing, there is growing concern for mental wellness. Just how much emphasis do we place our self worth and self identity on physical appearance? And, why are people motivated to beautify themselves? With this question in mind, I undertook a project to investigate this phenomenon and found some interesting myths that Singaporeans have.
What are some common myths about Medical Aesthetic treatments that Singaporeans have?
Myth No. 1: You can always tell when someone has had “work done”
- Well, in the past, people wanted dramatic results.
- Now, the trend is towards, subtle natural enhancement.
- The best aesthetic surgeons would understand their patient’s expectations, and seek out an outcome that is both beautiful and natural.
Myth 2: Medical Aesthetic treatments are painful and carries downtime.
The truth is, there are many pain reduction modalities and managing pain is both an art and a science. In my clinical experience, I have had patients telling me they ‘didn’t feel the needle go in’, ‘are surprised the treatment was over’, ‘the needle prick felt like a pinch’ etc.
Myth 3: Once I stop my medical aesthetic treaments, I will look older than before
Fact: Your will look like the original version of yourself, with the wrinkles and hollows, nothing more, nothing less. The plus point is, the new collagen that has been stimulated from your treatment stays with you.
Myth 4: Aesthetic treatment is all about Beauty and Vanity, so only those who lack confidence undergo these procedures
- It is a proven mood booster.
- Based on studies from the American Society of Psychology, helping a person look good can help them get hired sooner, get promotions more quickly, earn more money and get more perks in life
- People do treatments to correct inherent deficits in their features. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this, when done in a controlled manner.
Myth 5: The effects of threadlift, botox, facial fillers are irreversible
- Fact: Hyaluronic acid Fillers can be dissolved in 24 hours.
- Fact: Anti wrinkle treatments only last 4 months on average.
- Fact: The common thread lift material, PDO is 100% absorbed by the body.
- With regular use, ageing process is graceful.
Myth 6: Botox and fillers are unsafe.
- Fact: Botox is an anti-wrinkle injectable medicine that relaxes the muscles in the face that are responsible for our negative facial expressions and reduces lines, while fillers plump and smooth out folds.
- Fact: BOTOX has a long and well-established safety history. BOTOX has actually been in use for over 20 years for the effective treatment of a range of medical conditions and is one of the most widely researched medicines in the world, with over 50 million treatments and more than 95% satisfaction rate worldwide.
- Fact: In experienced hands, fillers are safe. I advocate using hyaluronic acid based fillers, which are FDA approved and 100% biodegradable. This gel resembles your body’s own hyaluronic acid.
So I hope this segment has helped you dispel common myths.
Stay kind. Stay strong. Stay connected.
-Dr Daniel Chang
- Droopy Eyelids Ptosis. Non Surgical answer | Botox vs eyedrops
- Skin whitening agents for face | How safe are online products?
- Melasma treatment Singapore Clinical Update | 2024 Review
- Maskne + ACNE Scar + Pore Review Singapore 2024 |
- What is injectible filler and y can it cause blindness? | Safety review
[…] SCULPTRA. ASTHEFILL. RADIESSE. […]
[…] SCULPTRA. ASTHEFILL. RADIESSE. […]
[…] ACNE Scar GUIDE […]
[…] DARK EYE CIRCLES | […]
Essentially, there will be no or very little downtime with this procedure. You can occasionally notice some redness that goes…