In my clinical opinion, regenera activa is rather invasive, so i tend to offer my patients less invasive forms of treatments for hair loss. But for the sake of educational sharing, here’s some info about it.
- Does regenera regrow hair?
- What is regenera treatment?
- How effective is Regenera?
- How safe is Regenera?
- Is there any downtime from Regenera?
- Can Regenera be combined with other therapies?
- Who is unsuitable for Regenera?
- Hair loss treatment guide | Regenera vs medical topicals vs surgical hair transplant
- So what are the common causes of hair loss?
- HAIR LOSS treatment
- How to apply Minoxidil?
- What are the side effects of minoxidil?
- How long do we need to use minoxidil?
- Who is suitable to consume Propecia?
- How does propecia work?
- When can I notice results?
- What are the side-effects of propecia?
- What are the evidence based treatments for hair loss?
- What is the difference between rogaine and propecia?
- Advanced treatment
- How does Regenera Activa work?
- Who is suitable and unsuitable for Regenera Activa?
- What can you expect with Regenera?
- What are the pros and cons of Hair Loss treatment options in Singapore?
- Is Regenera Activa safe?
- PRP | Platelet rich plasma ( not HSA approved)
- What is the evidence for PRP in hair loss treatment?
- Can PRP replace medication for hair loss?
- How is PRP Hair Loss Therapy performed?
- How many sessions are needed?
Does regenera regrow hair?
Yes, but patient selection is key.
What is regenera treatment?
Regenera Activa is a key treatment intended to slow down hair loss and activate the growth of new hair
How effective is Regenera?
There are > 10000 patients worldwide that have been treated with this method since April 2015.
How safe is Regenera?
Regenera Activa has been through extensive clinical trials for efficacy and safety.
It is approved by major health regulatory authorities like Europe CE and US FDA for effectiveness and safety in treating androgenetic alopecia (pattern hair loss).
Is there any downtime from Regenera?
Minimal discomfort and downtime are expected during and after Regenera Activa®️ Treatment. You can resume your daily activities immediately after the treatment, but avoid swimming for a week.
Can Regenera be combined with other therapies?
Yes and results are optimised this way. Regenera Activa can be combined with oral hair growth supplement, hair growth spray and low-level laser therapy depending on the individual’s condition and preference. Combination treatment may lead to the more superior outcome. It is common for patients to reduce their dosage of DHT-blockers after their Regenera Activa treatment.
Who is unsuitable for Regenera?
The only medical contraindication is an active infectious process in the scalp. Post hair transplant patients are also suitable candidates.
Hair loss treatment guide | Regenera vs medical topicals vs surgical hair transplant
How do you choose a clinic for Hair loss? Do you go to traditional spas for TLC or decide on a medical grade procedure? Hair loss. Yes it’s a pain. But unfortunately, WE ALL go thru it. Recently, after my loss of globe trotting opportunities, I noticed a sad truth. That I am balding lol.
Over the past few months, I received multiple inquires from readers who are interested in learning more about Regenera Activa. This topic has boomed in popularity in Europe, Middle East and South East Asia.
So what are the common causes of hair loss?
- • Androgenic ( female and male pattern hair loss)
- • Alopecia areata ( coin shaped hair loss)
- • Telogen effluvium ( stress related)
- • Traction ( tight hairstyles)
- . Vitamin and mineral deficiencies ( Copper, zinc, iron magnesium)
First step is identifying if your hair loss is gradual hair thinning or a sudden fall of >100 strands, which would require medical attention. Next is looking at the pattern of the hair loss. Female pattern hair loss is the loss of hair along the top of the head and is the most common form of hair loss. Male pattern hair loss occurs at the back of the head and along the hairline in front. Treatment is dependent on the cause and can be divided into conservative and surgical.
Please note: hair thinning and hair falling is different! If you noticed your hair gradually thinning over time, androgenic hair loss is the most likely diagnosis. If however, there is a sudden spurt in the hair fall of >100 strands, this requires medical attention.
This article is designed to be highly educational. So it comes complete with a quiz haha.
Can u name the diagnosis?
Essentially, the most common cause is androgenic, meaning hormonal. Hence it is impt to recognise the different grades.
Grading Scales for androgenic alopecia Hamilton Norwood (Males) Sinclair (Females)
Males tend to lose hair in the back of the head, and in the front along the hairline. Females tend to lose hair along the top of the head. Here are some illustrations.
To understand hair loss, you would first need to appreciate the hair cycle.
3 main phases exist. Anagen, catagen and telogen phase.
- Anagen is the growth phase.
- Catagen the intermediate phase.
- Telogen is the resting phase.
Each hair follicle lives in a cycle. This consists of a growth phase termed Anagen, followed by a transition phase, Catagen and finally a short period of rest, Telogen Phase, where growth stops.
After Telogen phase, the hair is lost and newer hair grows, starting another hair growth cycle.
Key principle of hair loss treatment is to increase the growth phase and reduce the resting phase.
HAIR LOSS treatment
Here is my 3 Step Formula to hair loss
Key principle is that once you stop your minoxidil, propecia etc, hair loss tends to return. Hence its for long term use.
- Lifestyle changes – healthy diet and reducing hair trauma
- Medical: topical minoxidil and oral Viviscal
- Specials: Light therapy and kiv Regenera Activa
- • Topical Minoxidil 2-5% New users can start with 2% and gradually work up to 5%.
- • Oral | Viviscal, finasteride, dusteride, spironolactone | Treatment for 6 months or more for better results. Viviscal is derived from fish proteins, and has had quite consistent results and is arguably safer than propecia, which can cause impotence, low libido, depression etc.
- • Immunosuppressant | intralesional steroid, oral steroid, MTX| – Effective for alopecia areata
How to apply Minoxidil?
- Dry your hair and scalp
- Apply the prescribed amt twice daily to the affected area, starting from the centre.
- Allow natural drying – No hairdryer
- If you miss a dose, just continue with your next dose.
What are the side effects of minoxidil?
Minoxidil is generally well tolerated. However, there may be rare instances that you may experience the following side-effects: Localised skin reaction = itch, redness, rash, burning
How long do we need to use minoxidil?
Results take time. You may notice hair shedding as your old hair drops to allow regrowth of new hair. Peak results after a year of continued use. Minoxidil is safe and FDA approved. Need for continued usage.
Finasteride – Propecia and Proscar
Who is suitable to consume Propecia?
This medication is only suitable for males.
How does propecia work?
It contains an enzyme, which inhibits the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotetosterone. DHT in excess causes shrinking of your hair follicles. It comes in a 1mg tablet. If you miss a dose, just continue from where you have left.
When can I notice results?
Results take time. You may notice hair shedding as your old hair falls to make way for regrowth of new hair. Peak results after a year of continued use.
What are the side-effects of propecia?
In very rare instances, decrease in libido may be experienced, reduced ability to get an erection and breast tenderness.
What are the evidence based treatments for hair loss?
Below are the top 3 FDA Approved products for hair loss. Viviscal, Propecia, Rogaine have been proven in controlled clinical studies to stop hair loss and regrow new hair. Scientists have discovered that men with male pattern hair loss have an increased level of dihydrotestosterone (DHT) in their scalps. Propecia blocks the formation of DHT. As a result, it interrupts a key factor in the development of inherited male pattern hair loss in men.
What is the difference between rogaine and propecia?
- •Availability: Rogaine is available without a prescription. Propecia requires a prescription.
- •Application: Rogaine is applied to the scalp. Propecia is taken as a pill.
- •Mode of action: Rogaine works locally by reinvigorating the hair follicles. Propecia stimulates hair regrowth by altering male hormones.
- • Suitability: While Rogaine Extra Strength is approved for men only, Rogaine as a 2% minoxidil solution is approved also for use by women. Propecia is not approved for use by women.
- Regenera Activa | A concealed micrograft treatment that takes under an hour
- Low level laser therapy is of ? benefit in pattern balding but one device has been approved by the FDA for marketing.
- PRP, platelet rich plasma is becoming more popular although not everyone is suitable for this procedure. ( Do note this is not approved in Singapore and you would have to go overseas for it)
How does Regenera Activa work?
Let me summarize in a simple 3 step process
1. First, identifying a well concealed area at the back of your scalp, a small sample of micro-grafts is harvested
2. Next, a special extraction of Regenerative cells using Regenera Activa
3. Finally, these cells are introduced into hair loss areas via an injector.
Who is suitable and unsuitable for Regenera Activa?
Both men and women with hair thinning, early hair loss and decrease in hair volume due to Androgenetic Alopecia/ Pattern Hair Loss are suitable.
People with scarring alopecia and telogen effluvium are not suitable.
What can you expect with Regenera?
- Initially, you notice reduction of hair loss
- Next, there is improved thickness and density of existing hair
- Finally growth of new hair over the next 12 months || Do note: Numerous clinical studies have shown improvements in hair density, hair count and scalp coverage as early as 3 months, but results vary from person to person
What are the pros and cons of Hair Loss treatment options in Singapore?
Hair spa pampering programme for hair loss in Singapore : Damage is around 12k/ year depending on which brand you choose lol | My patient has visited a famous hair spa in the past (the one where many Mediacorp artistes endorse, bet they are handsomely remunerated for this) and ended up paying 12k over a year for their special blend of Western and TCM topical herbs?! He enjoys the TLC and hair massaging but admits results are so-so. I shant say more.
Low-Level Laser Therapy + Minoxidil + oral supplements cost $250 per month in Singapore| In my clinical experience, the results can be good. It is best used as an adjunct to other treatments. Minoxidil needs to be used for lifetime though. Viviscal is a good fish based supplement but results may 6 months.
Hair Transplant cost in Singapore | Pros: It is a good permanent solution, time tested and proven. Cons: social downtime of a week and the surgery is not cheap. You can do the math haha| Based on average price at $5/graft for 2,000 grafts.
Regenera Activa cost in Singapore: From $4000 up | On discussion with global hair experts, the results primarily depend on patient selection. Not all patients will benefit from this. So this is a discussion to have with your physician. As the micrografts are well concealed, there is minimal social downtime.
Is Regenera Activa safe?
Regenera Activa is an evidence based hair loss treatment. It is approved by major health regulatory authorities globally FDA (US), CE (Europe) and HSA (Singapore).
A Cochrane systematic review published in 2012 concluded that minoxidil solution was effective for. Minoxidil is available as 2% and 5% solutions; the stronger preparation is more effective, but may irritate and may cause undesirable hair growth unintentionally on areas other than the scalp.
A combination of low dose oral minoxidil (0.25 mg daily) and spironolactone (25 mg daily) has been shown to be most effective.
PRP | Platelet rich plasma ( not HSA approved)
- PRP stands for platelet-rich plasma. PRP is blood plasma that has been enriched with platelets. PRP contains several different growth factors and other cytokines that stimulate healing of tissue, as well as hair growth.
- Human blood contains mesenchymal stem
What is the evidence for PRP in hair loss treatment?
Can PRP replace medication for hair loss?
How many sessions are needed?
- Droopy Eyelids Ptosis. Non Surgical answer | Botox vs eyedrops
- Skin whitening agents for face | How safe are online products?
- Melasma treatment Singapore Clinical Update | 2024 Review
- Maskne + ACNE Scar + Pore Review Singapore 2024 |
- What is injectible filler and y can it cause blindness? | Safety review