POST INFLAMMATORY HYPERPIGMENTATION:
LASER TREATMENT – HOW DOES IT WORK?
Pigmentation Solution: My 3 step FORMULA
1. Treatment: Laser/ light/ peels
2. Cosmeceuticals: Sunblock + Lightening agents – ORAL and topical
3. Skin renewal: Boost hydration and repair
POST INFLAMMATORY HYPERPIGMENTATION
– As the name suggests, these are pigmentation that form after an injury, be it picking a pimple, derma-roller performed on a skin, injury to the face etc…
– It can happen anywhere.
– Treatment entails careful use of laser toning with lightening agents and strict sun protection.
– They take 3 months to improve.
What is it?
It is an area of localised hyperpigmentation (excess melanin), as a result of damage to the skin from inflammatory process. It can range from light brown to black. It is temporary.
POST inflammatory pigmentation or PIH can happen anywhere on the body.
What does it resemble?
Distinguish PIH from PIE, which is post inflammatory erythema. This consists of superficial blood vessels that grow during the wound healing stage and is common after inflammtory acne, especially in lighter skin people. Darker skin folks would end up with Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation.
How can we treat it?
- Sun block
- Laser light
- Antioxidant and lightening agents
What are the causes?
- Injury. This can be as a result of over zealous chemical peel, laser, or other energy based devices.
(courtesy of skinperfectbrothers.com)
PIH ( Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation)