The KOREAN Aesthetics page
Fillers. Botox: Nose, chin, temple, cheeks, laugh line, jawline, undereye Fillers, botox, microbotox, Threadlifts, skinboosters
Fillers, and a GLOBAL approach to beauty for enhancement, with emphasis on harmonising your Nose, Cheek and Chin
2) Energy based treatments: Korean HIFU DOUBLO, Korean Lasers, Ultrasound, Microneedling (Carbon laser, microneedling, KPL – korean pulsed light, BBL)
3) Regenerative medicine – PRP( platelet rich plasma) and Stem cell renewal treatment – All things anti-ageing.
Today, I am going to do an overview of Aesthetic treatments, and share with you GOLDEN principles to beauty.Everyone wants to fulfil the highest, purest, truest expression of yourself. As taken from Oprah.Someone’s opinion of you does not have to become your reality.Your greatest beauty is when you express yourself.If something is important enough, you do it, even if your critics tell you otherwise.
- Why we do this?
- Identify your face shape
- What options do we have – FACE | SKIN | HAIR| BODY
- How we age? – Video
- Video on fillers and threads.
- HAIR – Alopecia and Hirsutism – In previous article
- Weight loss programme – Previous article
• Rapidly maturing population as medical advances raise life expectancy
• Non invasive treatments are the trend. They are effective, safe, with ultra short downtime.
• Look Good. Feel Great.
• US market for Cosmetic Procedures reached US$17.5 billion in 2015
How hot are you?
Here is the classic finger trap test taken from ABC news. Try it and see if you meet the criteria. =)
American Society of Plastic Surgeons 2015 Annual Statistics
- • Minimally-invasive cosmetic procedures boomed, with more than 13.9 million procedures in 2014.
- • Botulinum Toxin Type A (6.7 million procedures up 6 percent from 2013 to 2014)
- • Soft tissue fillers (2.3 million procedures up 3 percent from 2013 to 2014)
- • Chemical peel (1.2 million procedures up 7 percent from 2013 to 2014)
- • Laser hair removal (1.1 million procedures up 3 percent from 2013 to 2014)
- • Microdermabrasion (881,905 procedures down 9 percent from 2013 to 2014)
Ideal Asian Beauty?
Its all about harmony and balance. A high nose may not suit every face. Similarly, a sharp chin may work well for some, but be unsuitable for others. Its not just about achieving the best nose and chin. Its about achieving the best features that complements and brings out the best in you.
Ideal Western Beauty?
What can we do?
- • FACE | SKIN | BODY | HAIR
- • SHAPE: Fillers. Botox. Threadlifts
- • SKIN: Tone. Texture. Colour .Clarity. Achieved thru – Lasers. Medical Peels
- • BODY: Lifestyle. Medication. Fat removal.
- • HAIR: Hair growth. Hair removal.
We ASIANS have Broad Features. Hence the key is for harmony and balance. Westerners have strong midline features. Science of beauty is based on Restoration, Enhancement and Rejuvenation.
• Principle – Restoration of tissue to original position
• 3 levels – Soft tissue. Bone. Skin.
The Maturing Face
Allow me to share with you an Incredible video shows a young girl growing old
Its principle is to restore and reposition your soft tissue, to its original position.
• Medical Peels
• Indication – To refresh your skin.
• Conduct – Once a month treatment.
• Risks – Redness, skin hyper and hypopigmentation.
Here is an excellent introduction to lasers.
Here is an elegant video on filler injections.
Here is a simple video that demonstrates a threadlift procedure.
Arguably the best video on nose threads. =)
Anatomy of the face
The golden principle is as we age, we lose volume in the
Skin – We start losing collagen from age 25.
Bone – Bony resorption occurs and our chin, maxilla and orbits become gradually sunken.
Soft Tissue – We lost volume in our cheeks, temples and lips.
The cartoons below elegantly demonstrates this.
Skin loses collagen and elastin, and gradually thins out
Loss of soft tissue volume around the eyes, cheeks and jawline.
So I hope this has been useful. Feelfree to pm me should you have any queries. Have a bold and beautiful week ahead!
• We know it’s always a challenge to find someone you can trust. We know and we CARE. We know no one is perfect and we too have our shortcomings. But, we are dedicated to doing our very BEST for you. We are here for you, and here to journey with you on your Aesthetic dream. TRANSFORM your solitary fantasies into a million realities. Fulfil the highest, truest, purest expression of yourself. Making ASIA, more beautiful, one face at a time.
Dr DANIEL CHANG |
POET | CATHOLIC | TRIATHLETE |
Injectibles: DERMAL FILLERS
Here is a summary of where fillers can help to enhance, restore and rejuvenate your face.
Nose fillers, to enhance your nose bridge, tip and body. For the perkier, sharper you. Non surgically, with minimal pain, downtime and bruising. Results are instant. Nose fillers can be used to correct a flat nose bridge, a down pointing nose tip, and a dorsal hump, all common in Asians. It cannot be used to make a nose smaller. To do so visually, there are options. In the grand scheme of things, it is important for the nose to harmonise with the rest of your facial features. Keeping things natural, simple and beautiful.
Above is an example of nose fillers done to correct the sunken nose bridge, a common issue in Asians.
With a well defined midline, your chin and nose will harmonise and bring out the best in you. Here’s a look at the Finger Trap Test.
Perky cheeks are a sign of youth. As we age, the cheeks go first, flattening, descending, leading to the formation of the dreaded laugh lines. Creating the model- like cheeks, similar to cheek implants gives one a forever young look. Apple cheeks are important to frame a face, and rejuvenate your look.
Beautiful, well balanced, natural, Asian lips
Some people don’t mind if their lips are swollen and obviously ‘done’. Others prefer a natural look. As the area around the lips are highly vascular, you may see bruises from the injection, although this risk is reduced in experienced hands.
Aftercare is important.
Ice after the injection, 5x a day, 5min each time, for 5 days or more after the injection to decrease swelling.
I also recommend arnica as studies show they improve healing and recovery post injection.
DARK EYE CIRCLES
Above is the anatomy of the tear trough (undereye).
A: the orbicularis oculi muscle
B: Fat pad
C: the tear trough, which is formed by an underlying tear trough ligament
LAUGH LINES –
Laugh lines occur due to sagginess and descent of the midface. The cheek fat gravitates downwards, and causes the sunken look. Hence the key is to lift, reposition and restore your midface volume FIRST. Overfilling of the laugh lines results in a stiff and un-natural look.
The Aegyo sal or silkworm is a lovely cute roll just under the eye, not to be mistaken with eyebags which occupy a lower position and are lesss perky. This look, when carried off well, gives one a sweet, charming smile.
The DC-Dream-Lift is Dr Daniel Chang’s signature technique, combining a popular non surgical facelift treatment originating from Seoul, South Korea, termed the Dermalift, the 8 Point Lift from South America, and the Ultra V threads from Korea and Taiwan.
VDerma-lift: It involves injecting botulinum protein into the superficial layers of the skin, which
1) Stimulates and re-orders the fibroblasts of your skin cells to bind more elastin and collagen, hence creating an instant firming,tightening and slimming effect
2) It also has a collagen stimulating effect, hence a sustained firming result over time.
8 Point Lift + Thread Ultra V lift: Followed by the careful use of fillers and threadsat key positions to lift, anchor and support your saggy skin. Overall result is a lifted, tighter you.
The end result is an instant tightening and face-lifting effect, which gets better over the next 7 to 14 days.
I will classify threads into 3 main categories.
- Support threads
- Suspension threads
- An immediate lift through repositioning soft tissue
- Regenerative action with collagen stimulation for progressive and natural results
What can I expect?
- Local anaesthesia is carefully injected into the entry and exit sites.
- The threads are gently passed under the skin to induce the lift.
- Whole procedure takes 30mins.
- One can expect mild bruising and swelling which will resolve on its own.
Which areas can be improved?
- Laugh lines and marionette lines
How lasting are the results?
One can expect up to 2 years, with maintainence treatment in the interim.
A surgical facelift involves dissection and the repositioning of the SMAS. This is the gold standard for facelift.FACELIFT
In my humble opinion, threads in general, produce only modest results as they amount of anchoring and support is minimal. Just think about the science behind this. You are using tiny threads to provide the lift, logically, does it sound effective?
Hence the takehome message from this article is, not everyone is suitable for threads. And combination therapy, with fillers, microbotox and energy based devices would be the way to go to produce a safe, efficient and effective non surgical facelift.
What is it?
Tiny droplets of hyaluronic acid just under your skin, to lock in the moisture.
Dewy, radiant, glowing skin.
How is it done?
Microdoplets of filler with a machine or via injections.
Once a month for 3 sessions.
Where can it be done?
Face, neck and hands.
What is it?
Cutting edge technology for lifting and tightening saggy skin.
How is it done?
A gel is applied on your face and neck, and a ultrasound probe delivers the energy directly over your face. You will feel a tingling sensation intermittently.
This is essentially a treatment with zero to minimal downtime. In some cases, you may see some redness that disappears over hours. In rare cases, wheals may form but this is also transient.
How does it work?
HIFU – high intensity focused ultrasound onto the SMAS layer to lift and tighten.
2 sessions a year for optimum results
- Softening of the jawline, nasolabial fold, double chin.
2. Lifting of midface and eyebrow.
- Natural glow, healthy radiance
- Lightening blemishes and spots
- Firm and tighten pores
Is there any downtime? No this is a strictly no downtime procedure.
A BEAUTIFUL FACE – HARMONY. BALANCE. PROPORTION. DEFINITION.
- The outer oval, comprising of a full temple, apple cheeks, slim jawline, shapely chin
- The inner circle comprising the brows and the eyes
- And the midline triangle, comprising of the nose and lips.
Let me explain.
Lets take a look at this face. The outer oval would comprise of the line joining the temple, to the cheek, to the jawline, and ending with the chin. In this actress, we see a seamless line that continues down and laterally from the temples, to the well volumised cheeks, the slim jawline and the well shaped chin.
For a beautiful female chin, on side profile, it must lie close to or at the line seen above. This is agreed upon by Plastic Surgeons.
And on frontal view, the length from the tip of the chin to the lower lip should be twice that of the base of nose to the upper lip. This is akin to the Golden Ratio. A good example is seen here in Korean star Han Ga In.
Moving on, lets discuss the next shape, the inner circle around the eyes.
This can be divided into
- Well shaped brows which frames the face and gives you a refreshed look
- Smooth wrinkle free skin lateral and medial to the eyes,
- Soft jelly roll under the eye, evident in the picture below.
Finally, the last shape. The inner triangle, comprising the nose and lips.
Notice how the nose in this actress is sharp, high and narrow? A slender nose, with a high bridge that extends from the brows, and a seamless body that curls over the tip. The only thing to be careful here is an exaggerated nose bridge, which would have you looking like our model below, aka, the ‘Avatar’ look.
As for the lips, the borders are well defined and there is preservation of the 2:1 ratio for the volume of lower lip compared to upper lip.
Moving on, lets look at a popular test you can do at home. It’s called the finger trap test, that determines if you are HOT, or NOT.
Here’s how it works. Basically, if you place your finger to your nose, and it touches the lips and chin, then yes, you are in the HOT list.
And here, we have the Hollywood A list of celebrities who fall into this category.
( From ABC news)
So are you hot, or not? Happy finger trapping!
Nose, the perfect Asian nose.
What is it?
Let me attempt to share with you, how we doctors assess, and beautify, a nose. Let us divide the nose into the bridge, the body and the tip.
We Asians tend to have a low and flat bridge.
The nose body tends to have a hump, so its is not a continuous linear transition.
The nose tip can be rounded and wide.
And worse, our nose may not be well harmonised with the rest of the face.
Now the perfect nose has got to be well balanced and harmonised into your face.
Here is the science behind it.
But lets not bore you.
Here is the art behind it.
(Scarlett Johansson taken from ABC news)
She is known to have a well balanced, well harmonised nose, and one of the best in Hollywood.
Notice this picture of a Korean star. See how the tip is upturned, the base is narrow, the body is long and straight, and the bridge, high and mighty.
Here is the science behind it.
But lets not bore you further.
Here’s the art behind it.
In the Western world, Kate Middleton has arguably a perfect nose.
3 key points.
1) High bridge
2) Feminine tip with a upturned curve
3) Slender body proportionate to the face
In the Asian world, we pride ourselves on a sharp nose to complement and accentuate a V shaped look.
Now this lady created a mini buzz with her super sharp chin. It was likened to a tapered container.
So essentially, I hope this light segment on the perfect nose will provide you with some interesting tidbits.
Happy New Year!
Korean Pulsed Light
Indication – Red marks, brown spots, pimples, pores, and for achieving a red carpet glow
How it feels – Brief rubber band snaps to your skin
Downtime – Zero