ProjectLivesofSG -> || #1lifesavedsg
ProjectLivesofSG -> || #1lifesavedsg
Why we do it?
Feeling hopeless | anxious | depressed? You’re not alone. 2020 has been a particularly challenging year for many people. If you are a young professional struggling with anxiety and depression, then we especially want to help you.
According to the Singapore Mental Health Study 2016:
- >15% of adults have experienced a mental health condition in their lifetime.. 75% of people with a mental health condition in their lifetime did not seek any professional help.
- 7 /10 respondents believed that persons with mental health conditions experience stigma and discrimination in their daily lives, and yet. 5 / 10 respondents were not willing to live with, live nearby, or work with a person with mental health condition.
- 9 in 10 respondents believe that those with mental health issues “could get better if they wanted to”,. 50% said that mental health issues are “a sign of personal weakness” and six in 10 said that such people are “unpredictable”.
Let’s work together towards:
- Increasing Mental Health awareness
- Increasing access to Mental Health services
- Decreasing social stigma regarding Mental Health issues
To TAKE-DOWN mental health issues through sharing of stories | experiences | statements. Our goal in brief is to build a community, open, inclusive and non-judgy to help professionals, from millennials to the matured, improve your mental health. We want to be your psychological First Aid, and promote mental health awareness.
As Prof Goh has pointed out, ‘There is no health without MENTAL HEALTH‘. We feel, in the aftermath of Covid, this group of higher functioning silent sufferers will be affected greatly. Additionally, SOS, MOE, MOH, #plsstay movement and NCSS BeyondtheLabel are addressing the needs of the different age groups as we speak.
ENDPOINT is to coordinate + consolidate this mental wellness landscape, optimizing resources under 1 central umbrella. Because there is no need to confuse the public with information overload. To simplify is divine.
- #BeNotAfraid | Be not afraid to look bad. Be not afraid to reach out. Be not afraid to seek help.|| Underlying theme is accepting one-self. Which would go a lot way into helping silent sufferers *TAKEDOWN* this condition, 1 inch at a time. ||
- #1lifesavedSG, #LivesofSG |To reduce suicide rates in PMETS and eradicate this negative social stigma
- Awareness | #itsokaytobenotokay Feeling depressed, feeling anxious is not an illness, not a disease, but unmet emotional needs growing up.
And why are we reaching out to Professionals?
Professionals are our *silent sufferers*
People in this category are highly functioning, we think we can figure things out independently, we think we dont need any help from anyone… the underlying ISSUE of pride and social stigma for healthy help-seeking behavior. However, it is precisely this group that needs help, because recession is looming, people are feeling more stressed, worried about being laid off, worried about bringing food to the table, worried about their family, worried about the future, as a result of the impact of Covid, the worse being still unknown. This would have a trickle down effect on families, and poor kids suffer the most in the end. We. Dont. Want. That.
Presently MOE is addressing emotional quotient in schools. While there are apps directed at youths. Theres a movement for mummies focusing on teenage suicide. SOS, Family Life Society, IMH mental health hotline are helping the poor. So we will not duplicate resources… we will complement them, and target PMETS, the high functioning but SILENT SUFFERERS, for many will fall under the axe.
Challenges we face:
1. Sufferers often have no motivation to seek help
2. Sufferers have no money to seek professional help
3. Sufferers dont want to talk to anyone
- Our Team shares our personal experience +coping skills + positive message.
- Then extend to the public by interviewing Professionals ( IT/ Tech/ Banking/ Consulting/ Medicine/ Dentistry etc) and rewriting their stories
- Touching base with VWOs to seek permission to share their case stories
1. Asian Forum https://www.humansofnewyork.com/ || We do a LivesofSG version. #1lifesavedSG|| Links to Resources for self help on youtube, and referral to a team of doctors + psychologists. On hotlines to talk to someone. | For mental wellness. manned by sufferers who have been there done that. Readers post their issues anonymously on a board -> And moderators reply, while public can comment and provide support. So it grows and becomes a repository of stories categorised by the 5 major emotions. Qualifiers will be made. A. Disclaimer B.Indication C. Anonymous+ PHMC act
2. On nights where sufferers are alone and lonely, to have app bots to talk to them. Because many feel alone in this big big world, they feel they have no friends to turn to.
3. AI bots who can reply with EMPATHY | only activated at night | not to replace Human interactionThere is currently no Sg forum dedicated to this with enough traction, for ppl who are more comfortable typing then talking over the phone or video call. One which deals with Asian issues, and has a collection of stories by Asians. I find that ppl open up when others around them, who they can identify, open up first.
How we do it?
To work with Influencers. Govt bodies + VWOs. Therapists + doctors as a tripartite alliance. We coordinate and consolidate.
1. Influencers to spread the word and relate their story, struggle, coping and personal statements. People to subscribe and sign up | With disclaimer qualifying the right ppl we can help and channeling the riskier ones to other avenues
2. Forum to write and share their darkness and to read about other ppl’s struggles. KIV BOTS in future.
Aim is to complement hotlines not replace them || And not to replicate. || I need a good web designer for this user interface
Process: Moderators identify RISK-> PM them and therapists on site to make first contact => On consult with medical team => Options 1. refer to our team of 25 therapists (probono) 2. Medical attention (Doctors panel) + Our forum platform and bots will help with the easier, higher functioning cases, complex cases to be escalated. So we are a psychological first aid, a wound band aid.
What we do?
- Awareness Ambassadors
- Builders | Focus on story collection, building an open, non judgy inclusive, accepting society
- Care Team | First Contact with at risk, and our team on therapists and doctors will come together to see how best we can help u
PROJECT TIMELINE || 1 year ending in Sept 2021
Our VISION: is to TAKEDOWN the social stigma for Asian mental health issues, and build a caring, open and non judgy community with a platform to share their stories + AI Bot enable capability for discussing non suicidal issues, at night when no one else is there to help. We are a psychological first aid, we put the band-aid on the wound. We seek to build awareness and TAKEDOWN social stigmas, one inch at a time. To make people less afraid…. #BeNotAfraid
He succeeded in his lifelong goal… to make people less afraid… this was robin’s wish…one of the greatest actors of all time
Samaritans of Singapore:1800-221-4444Singapore Association for Mental Health:1800-283-7019Institute of Mental Health’s Mobile Crisis Service:6389-2222Care Corner Counselling Centre (Mandarin):1800-353-5800Silver Ribbon:6386-1928Tinkle Friend:1800-274-4788
Partnerships with VWOs | Our strength lies in
- Well curated stories with a positive message
- Lifestyle Influencers with a focus on professionals
- Focus on Professionals ( the silent sufferers who have long been overlooked)
Goals for LivesofSG ||
- I was not clear about the deliverables, and ideas develop and formulate as we move forward.
- End goal. When do we say we have completed our task?
- Sustainability moving forward. How comfortable is the team identifying with a photo and personal statement re: this initiative. Its an identity and I feel some of you may not be so open about it. Additionally, I know many of our volunteers are wearing several hats, so commitment levels varies due to time constraints.
Timeline + Targets | We finish this in 1 year ENDING 2021
Nov 15 2020
FB Group 1000 x members in our community | To allow us to pitch to media to help us spread awareness. Otherwise we are just floating around unfortunately.
A. Content – Education and Media Team Leads pls take note.
- Articles on mental health for FB group. 5x a week.
- Influencers to each share a 1 min clip about their story, coping, and personal statement. –5x
- Tag and share 10 x people per influencer for each article and sharing. #humansofSG #1lifesavedSG #BeNotAfraid #Itsokaytonotbeokay
Sidenote. Grow our Awareness Ambassadors team. Replies have been positive. Working on red tape and how to cut it.
B. Short stories + Statements
- 25x stories of personal struggle + coping from each team
- 100x personal statements
1 Dec 2020
We come together to discuss if Website is feasible moving forward. Whether we have the bandwidth for that, because we do not want a one-hit-wonder. We want sustainability and if the team as yet feels its not viable, we will postpone it.
We are still in the process of refining our methodology, targets and we welcome feedback and suggestions on how we can do better.
Sept 2021 | The handover
FB Platform is stable and self running, with articles, stories, sharings. Those who are keen, pls on as moderators for the FB group.
Handover the Admin to our young Doctor team
- Number of sign ups > 5K community
- Number of feedback form positive responses >500
- Referrals to psy+ health >50X
- number of people sharing the hashtag >50’000 #
The Dream TEAM || LivesofSG #1LifesavedSG #BeNotAfraid
Prof Goh Lee Gan Pioneer Family Med | Our Mentor + Dr Ang Yong Guan Advisor
Dr.Tan E Ching: Senior Family Physician | Advisor + Grace Loh Fournier: Legal Tech and Psychotherapist-in-training| Chief + Leah Selakovic | Psychologist+ Cecilia Leong Faulkner + Adelene Fong + Pyn Lim | Strategist + Dr Soo Shuenn Chiang + Prof Gabriel Low Cheng Hock | Observer Samuel Seow | Media + Legal Counsel
Builders + Care Team
Leah Selakovic | Education + Media Psychologist | Co Lead Ferry Bayat | Special needs educator with interest in kids| 2IC + Eleanor Wong + Eve Zhang | Counsellor + Therapist + Gloria Soo + Desiree Chung + Team of 26 Psychotherapist volunteers
Dr Gary Ang + Dr Tan Liat Leng + Dr Nina A: Celebrity Cosmetic + Dr Jade Chee: Kickass Millennial + Maggie Chua Team Lead + Shireen Henry | Volunteer advocate + Dr Chia Min Shan + Dr Vanessa Tan | ENT + Dr Tan Keetung | Family Physician
Awareness Ambassadors + Outreach
Dr Rachel Chin + Paige Shi + Eunice Yeo Spartan Champ 2015 + Natalie Dau: Ultramarathoner + Angela Poppy + Henny V | Socialite + Uncle Sam:CrossFit Coach + Alishia Cleopatra
Sarah K: Korean + Eleanor Wong + Pika Sen + Sharene Goh + Prof Valerie Chew + Dr Enrica Sham + Ann Sim
Renita Sophia Crasta + Tan Hian Zee: Adhoc Legal Assistance
Behind the scenes Warriors |
Dr Chu Jiawan + + Jane Z xxxofmuse | Strategist + Observers | Dr Amanda Ong + Sang Hee Shin | Our Kickass Aussie red wine connection team
Daniel Chang | Founder + Enabler + The Janitor |
What do our detractors say?
- I’m not tech saavy and the idea of bots to talk to for depressed and suicidal people makes me uncomfortable
- And if someone kills themselves whilst using your app, then it will be a problem too
- Also is the end-point to refer to a human therapist? Coz how are ppl gonna afford that
- Sg started something similar many years ago. It never gained traction.
- Why do I need to go to this website?
- Why would I continue to visit this website, and who is moderating it?
- Who would continue to contribute to this site, how sustainable will it be?
- Why are we not helping the poor and marginalised?
- Do stories really help inspire those who are suffering? Is there any value in doing so?
- Are you duplicating already evident resources? How do you ensure sustainability? Why are there so many mental health movements in SG currently?
1. LivesofSG – short story chicken soup for the soul collection + anonymous forum, aka humans of New York style, but amended for Asian context. Chatbots to help on nights when sufferers feel alone, experience insomnia, and have no one to talk to. Because the incredible painful feeling of loneliness is not something to be dismissed.
I agree it cannot replace human – human interaction, but the power of AI cannot be downplayed. In the US, chatbots are used and scientifically proven to benefit people with anxiety and depression. Its about developing coping mechanisms, and yes, it cannot address the emotional neglect, which requires the next step, speaking to someone. My plan is for a psychological first aid, like a band aid on your wound.
2. I think if these forums are written without any identification, more users will be willing be share their experiences.
3. Qualifiers so only those high functioning PNETS will be helped | suicidal patients will be referred immediately
4. Endpoint: Awareness. An open sharing accepting community like new York
5. We refer complex cases to IMH and SOS || So we help them to filter out manageable, we handle higher functioning patients, which tend to be the PMETS, by virtual of the fact that they have come this far.
6. This would be aka Chicken Soup for the soul | Sg version. To know there are others in your plight. Our panelists would take turns to share their stories every month. So the website layout | Stories by real ppl + Forum for anonymous sharing ( moderated by a group of volunteers)
I think times have changed and we are ready for this. As a society, as a community. We will not be ambitious, we will focus on a select group, complementing the work of others. Influencers will lead the way to care and share. The aim is to build an open, inclusive, accepting, non judgy community.
SOS, Family Life Society, IMH mental health hotline are helping the poor. So we will not duplicate resources. We cant do everything so we decided on this target group first. We want to serve the silent sufferers and when more people come forward, we can extend this project to others.
Contributed by us the panelists, we start sharing our stories, struggles and encourage others to come fwd. So it no longer becomes a taboo, pplp no longer fear the stigma and labels.
Questionaire to qualify the right candidates. | So I was thinking not to duplicate resources so we focus on a select crowd for now. | 35-45, Non suicidal, no prev history of diagnosed mental health disorders. All anonymous except for username, age and questionnaire to ensure qualifies for us. Those excluded will be directed to a link to the hotlines avail for them. We do not want them to feel left out.
A.I bots to be activated at night. Bec many suffer insomnia so good to have a bot to talk to. We are not replacing hotlines. We are providing an alternative avenue for those, like me, who prefer to type on a PC than talk over the phone or face to face. Hence the narrower age group range but open to suggestion.
To gain traction and reach out to more ppl, we need to share on social media and with our friends and kickstart our Awareness Ambassador Campaign.
Coordination of NCSS, MOH, LivesofSG and VWOs. And open to collaborations to help other VWOs with the setup we have.
Challenges we foresee
- Asians not willing to share their story, unlike westerners. So influencers impt to encourage
- Funding. Tote board. We need funding for website, AI white labelling. Once off only and yearly maintainence of web hosting fee.
- Web designer | Web master to help us manage this
- On-going fees: How to sustain this project without passing it to end users. We want this to be an open source.
- Too many websites and movements presently.
- Hence we wish to support a VWO in this field, and come under their umbrella, helping them to reach out to this niche group of professionals.
- Your welfare is our priority. We are not looking for kamikaze pilots. We have a a safety net in place to take care of our members. Because the last thing we want is for members to crash and burn from dedicating themselves to this project.
- We are all busy parents, so a heart in the right place is all we need. Adhoc work as needed, at your own time, own target.
- Those who wish to contribute anonymously, please do… We do have a team of Silent warriors behind the scenes, so you are not alone.
Thanks for your kind words Linda 😊
This was very informational. I have been confused about the difference between Rhinoplasty, Nose Fillers and HIKO Nose Threadlift for…
[…] For more information, you can check out Dr Daniel’s blog at:https://drdanielchang.com/2016/06/24/a-beautiful-asian-nose-hiko-vs-nose-fillers-vs-rhinoplasty/ […]
When someone writes an paragraph he/she keeps the idea of a user in his/her brain that how a user can…
When someone writes an paragraph he/she keeps the idea of a user in his/her brain that how a user can…
What is mask-ne? Mask-ne is acne breakouts as a result of our new norm, mask wearing. They can be in the form of comedones, whiteheads, blackheads, pimples. Who gets maskne? In my clinical experience, I notice mask-ne tends to affect teens and young adults more, and those with a propensity for adult onset acne. It … Continue reading Mask-Ne Singapore 2020 | Ask Daniel Chang
What causes eyebags? Firstly, it is key to identify if its a true eyebag or false eyebag. False eyebag: It is due to a hypertrophied lower eyelid muscle and can be improved with toxin Real eyebag: How severe is the eyebag? How saggy is the eyelid skin? How sunken is the midcheeks? What are non … Continue reading How to get rid of eyebags in Singapore | Ask Dr Eyebag
Robin’s Wish 2020 In “Robin’s Wish,” a documentary about the last days of Robin. The comedian’s widow, Susan Schneider Williams, recalls one of the first times that she could tell something was seriously off. Robin called her from Vancouver, where he was shooting the third “Night at the Museum” film, and he couldn’t calm himself … Continue reading My top 5 favourite movies on mental health | #HumansofSG #1lifesavedSG